We get asked lots of questions about volunteering. Check out the most common ones. If yours isn’t below, contact us and we’ll happily try to help!
- Who volunteers with Tenovus Cancer Care?
- Are there any age limits to volunteering at Tenovus Cancer Care?
- How much time do I have to give?
- Do I need to make a regular commitment?
- Do you pay volunteer expenses?
- What skills and experience do I need?
- Do you ask for references or carry out any checks such as CRB?
- Will I have an interview?
- Will I be given any training before beginning my role?
- Will I have to report to anyone whilst I am volunteering for Tenovus Cancer Care?
- Do you have a role where I can use my skills? None of the roles listed are what I'm looking for
- Will volunteering affect my benefits?
- Can I apply for a paid position with Tenovus Cancer Care if I'm volunteering?
- Can I leave if I don't like the role I'm doing?
- How do I apply for a voluntary role?
1. Who volunteers with Tenovus Cancer Care?
Volunteers are amazing people, they give up their time to help us and we really appreciate it, however much they can give. Many of our volunteers are:
- Recent graduates and students
- People looking to gain work experience
- Retired people
- Anyone that wants to make a difference to cancer patients and their families
- People who have received Tenovus Cancer Care services and want to give something back
- People looking for new ways to meet people and make friends
There are so many reasons to volunteer with Tenovus Cancer Care, and so many people that do. Please see our Meet our Volunteers section to find out more about why people volunteer with us and what they gain from it.
2. Are there any age limits to volunteering at Tenovus Cancer Care?
Whatever your age, there's always a way for you to volunteer with us!
3. How much time do I have to give?
This is totally up to you. Some of our roles require more time than others, but we can help you to choose a role that suits you.
4. Do I need to make a regular commitment?
This is totally up to you. Some of our roles require a regular commitment, especially those in our Cancer Support Team. However, we recognise it is often difficult to make a regular commitment to volunteering so we have created our events volunteering list. This means you can pick and choose what volunteering suits you and when.
5. Do you pay volunteer expenses?
Yes! Our staff will have a chat to you about this when you start to let you know what is available.
6. What skills and experience do I need?
This is different for every role, just have a look at the role descriptions that are listed on the Volunteering opportunities page to find out more. If you’re not sure if a role is right for you then just give us a call or email and we’re happy to chat it through. There’s always something for everyone.
7. Do you ask for references or carry out any checks such as DBS?
We ask for references for all of our on-going roles, only some of our roles require a DBS check but this will be written clearly in the role description and our staff will talk to you about it. We don’t ask for references or any checks for our events or one-off volunteer roles.
DBS (Disclosure Barring Service) checks or disclosures provide an organisation with confidential and impartial information regarding a person's criminal record.
8. Will I get an interview?
We invite our volunteers in for an informal chat in person or over the phone.
This is not an interview, but an opportunity for you to ask any questions you may have, find out more about the charity and the positions available.
9. Will I be given any training before I begin my role?
Yes! All our volunteers will be given plenty of training for their role, and if you feel you need more then just ask.
Our events volunteers don’t get formal training but we will always give you full information on the event and make sure you get a briefing at the start and end.
10. Will I have to report to anyone whilst I am volunteering for Tenovus Cancer Care?
All of our volunteers will have a supervisor in your role. They will be there for day-to-day support and guidance, and to make sure you are happy in your role.
The Volunteer Development Team are also available for any extra support or questions you may have.
11. Do you have a role where I can use my skills? None of the roles listed are what I'm looking for.
We are always waiting to hear from people who have a particular skill that they think can help the organisation. Why not get in touch with our Volunteer Development Team to see if there is something right for you.
12. Will volunteering affect my benefits?
No. In fact volunteering is now actively encouraged for unemployed people and will not affect the benefit payments you receive.
If you are seeking Job Seeker's Allowance (JSA) you are free to volunteer so long as you remain available for work and you are still actively seeking employment.
13. Can I apply for a paid position with Tenovus Cancer Care if I'm volunteering?
Yes. One of the benefits of volunteering with us is that you'll be able to apply for both external and internal vacancies.
Please see our Vacancies section of the website for current vacancies.
14. Can I leave if I don't like the role I'm doing?
Yes, you can leave at any time. If you’d still like to volunteer with us but in a different role then you can have a chat with the Volunteer Development team to find something else that suits you.
15. How do I apply for a voluntary role?
You can view all current vacancies here and apply directly online. If you have any questions about a role you’ve seen please let us know.
Got a question that's not been answered above? Please do not hesitate to ask us on email@example.com or by calling 029 2076 8331.