Our Quit with Us campaign
Each year in Wales, lung cancer is responsible for more deaths than bowel and breast cancers combined.
There are many reasons to quit smoking and we're here to help with free advice and tips on how to give up.
We know it’s not easy but we’re all behind you - your willpower, our support. The people who love you will thank you for it.
We know 70% of smokers want to quit, but many need some extra support to help them get started so every year we work with communities across Wales to help people to pack it in.
Where to get help
Nicotine in tobacco is a highly addictive drug, so no wonder people find it hard to quit and cope with withdrawal symptoms. Going it alone isn't the best way for most people so it's best to speak to people who can help.
Family and friends
It’s easier to quit with someone else as you can support each other. You can also start networking with others on our Facebook page Quit with Us. You may find some hints and tips for yourself or offer some great ideas to someone else who's stuck.
The NHS Help Me Quit service is available free across Wales and is provided by a stop smoking expert. There are three types of support sessions available:
- Groups with other smokers who want to be smoke free
- 1:1 sessions in person
- 1:1 sessions over the telephone
Free Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT) or medication is available to help you manage your withdrawal symptoms.
Your stop smoking expert will explain the different types of products and help you choose which is best for you as this varies according to your level of dependency, health, lifestyle and the way the NRT works.
Free products include patches, lozenges, inhalers, sprays, gum and tablets but support from someone experienced can help you choose the right one and swap if it's not quite right. They also provide advice on withdrawal symptoms, coping strategies, health benefits and carbon monoxide monitoring.
Using support services makes it four times more likely you will quit successfully.
Get in touch with: Help Me Quit - 0800 085 2219
Many pharmacies now have a trained pharmacist who can offer:
- One-to–one support
- 30 minute sessions which are planned and flexible but appointments are not always required
- Carbon monoxide monitoring
- Free nicotine replacement therapy
Not all community pharmacies offer a stop smoking service, but we have a number of pharmacies in our community helping us to distribute the free NRT packs. These pharmacies are:
- Sheppards Forest View Medical Centre,Treorchy,CF42 6DL
- Sheppards 227 Park Road,Cwmparc,Treorchy, CF42 6LD
- Sheppards 66 - 68 High Street,Ferndale, CF43 4RR
- Sheppards 22/25 Whitcombe Street,Aberdare,CF44 7AU
- Sheppards 35 Dyffryn Road,Rhydyfelin,Pontypridd,CF37 5RW
- Sheppards 9 Ynysmeurig Road, Abercynon, CF45 4SY
- Sheppards 30 Penybont Road, Pencoed. CF35 5RA
- Abersychan Pharmacy, 14 - 15 Broad St, Abersychan, Pontypool, NP4 7BQ
- Glynneath Pharmacy 101 High St, Glynneath, Neath SA11 5AL
- Pearns 45 Tweedsmuir Rd, Cardiff CF24 2QZ
- Clifton Pharmacy 7-8 Clifton St, Cardiff CF24 1PW
- Cardiff Royal Infirmary, Newport Rd, Cardiff CF24 0SZ
To find out more, contact the Help Me Quit team on 0800 085 2219
Your GP can prescribe products to help you quit and give you advice.
Our Quit with Us 2018 campaign is back in March. Keep an eye out for updates and how we can support you even more. Don't forget to join out Facebook page.
If you’d like to know more about our previous Quit with Us campaign, click here to read our full service evaluation report.
It doesn't matter what time of year it is - we're always here to help you quit smoking.